Friday, November 12, 2010

Hospitality in a dirty house?

I was doing my Fruits of the Spirit bible study because I needed some encouragement and an attitude adjustment. I am fretting about getting my home ready for tomorrow. I am pleading, "Lord I don't feel good. I can't talk. Give me the energy to get up and finish housework. After all this is my calling at the moment."So I start to turn to the scripture outlined in my guide but come across Romans 12:12-13 Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. 13 Share with God's people who are in need. Practice hospitality. another version 12Let your hope make you glad. Be patient in time of trouble and never stop praying. 13Take care of God's needy people and welcome strangers into your home. (CEV)
So I sit and stare at this scripture like it is something foreign and I need to take it all in. I start to turn the page but flip back. I recognize this pattern. God has something to tell me. I pray again, "Father, what is this. I know that hospitality is important, I know that I need to keep reading scripture and to be joyful in all my situations. What am I missing. I am listening. Tell me so that I may tell others"
Have you ever had this experience? The kids are running, screaming, and playing loudly in the background. Toys get dropped and possessions get knocked over so that it sounds like bombs exploding and the walls are rattling. Awe, you know the scenario. This was my house at my Bible moment. However, suddenly quietness set in. A peace and stillness came over me. No my husband didn't whisk the kids off for a fun adventure and give Mommy peace and quiet. God spoke to me and all else was still in my mind. It is rare that I experience this but it was Him none the less. I felt him say,"Your house is presentable. Hospitality is not about a spotless home. Just offer them what I offer you. Give them unconditional love, understanding, and the knowledge I have for them. Show them a way to Me." I began to tear and praise God. Thank you Lord!
So you can have hospitality in a dirty house....ok a semi dirty house. I don't think my standard will allow my house to be filthy, but less than perfect is ok. I will offer them what God teaches me and what my Father offers me. Unconditional love and salvation.

No comments:

Post a Comment